This was such a great dish. I wanted to find a way to use the Rainbow Swiss chard that came with my CSA order and came across this recipe using the pantry list search (such a cool tool!). I used fresh chicken sausage and whole wheat rigatoni since that was what I had on hand. My husband and I loved it and the spice of the sausage really offered a nice punch of flavor. I took the suggestion of other reviewers and layered the cheese with the pasta mixture.
Spicy Baked Penne with Sausage and Chard
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 636
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 50g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 1079mg
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- 8 ounces dried penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 links hot Italian sausage (8 oz. total), casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups chopped rinsed Swiss chard leaves (about 3 oz.)
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz.)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring about 4 quarts water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Pour oil into the same pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and garlic and stir, breaking apart with spoon, until sausage is crumbled and brown, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Add chard and stir until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice, salt, pepper, and cooked pasta. Pour mixture into a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over the top.
- 4. Bake in a 350° oven until cheese is browned and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This