It is probably not fair of me to review this based on the fact that it was my first try with tempeh. I've discovered, I'm not a fan. That said, once I picked the tempeh out, the rest of it was delicious. I did add a bit of sliced onion in with the mushrooms and garlic. It would be easy to mix up the veggies to however you'd like them.
Spicy Asparagus-Tempeh Stir-Fry
Photo: Oxmoor House
Prepare 3 cups cooked brown rice by using 1 large bag of boil-in-bag brown rice.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup stir-fry and 3/4 cup brown rice)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 390
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 14.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Protein: 18.6g
- Carbohydrate: 49.4g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 745mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 3/4 pound asparagus spears
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package multigrain tempeh (such as White Wave Five-Grain), thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) package sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 cups hot cooked instant brown rice
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Cut spears diagonally into 2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Combine vegetable broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh, and stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes or until golden. Remove tempeh from pan; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in same pan. Add garlic, red pepper, asparagus, and mushrooms to pan, and stir-fry 3 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Add broth mixture; bring to a boil, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Add tempeh, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve over brown rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note