There is a lot going on in this recipe - toasty, earthy spices on the shrimp and tons of flavor in the salsa. The serranos were almost too spicy, but offset by the cool fruity flavor of the clementine. Both the shrimp and the salsa were so good, but I'm not necessarily sure they paired great together. I would serve on separate nights next time to let each one shine. Served over hot cooked rice. I think I picked up on a slight typo. You want 6 clementines, not 6 cups clementines - otherwise there is way more salsa than the recommended serving.
Spiced Shrimp Skewers with Clementine Salsa
Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients--more than half are spices. Crisp jicama adds texture, and you can leave the seeds in the chiles for an extra hot salsa. Serve this dish with cooked rice to balance the earthy-flavored shirmp and firey-sweet salsa.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 135
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Carbohydrate: 15.9g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 360mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 36 jumbo shrimp (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and deveined
- Cooking spray
- 6 cups clementine sections (about 6 clementines)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled jicama
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- To prepare shrimp, combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Add shrimp, tossing well to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 4 hours.
- Preheat grill or grill pan.
- Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 12 (6-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack or grill pan coated with cooking spray; cook 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done.
- To prepare salsa, combine clementine and remaining ingredients, stirring well. Serve salsa with shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note