Spiced Shrimp Boil
Chef Seth Hargett of Point Clear, Alabama, devised this recipe for what he calls a "reverse boil." Cooked shrimp absorb abundant flavor from the well-seasoned brew.
Yield: Makes enough for 2 pounds of shrimp
- 3 quarts water
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 12 parsley stems
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- Vodka Cocktail Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil; boil for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and chill. Strain, if desired.
- To use, cook 2 pounds peeled or unpeeled shrimp in boiling water just until pink. Drain shrimp, immediately submerge it in the seasoning liquid, and thoroughly chill. Drain shrimp, and serve with Vodka Cocktail Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes