Really good! It turned out great the first time I made it, which doesn't happen all that often. I used powdered cumin instead of cumin seeds and just stirred the oil constantly. I think it worked just fine and did give the dish lots of flavor.
Spiced Red Lentils with Caramelized Onions and Spinach
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 510
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 82g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Sodium: 431mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 large onions, halved and cut into thin half-moons
- About 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed well and drained
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 serrano chile, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bunch (10 oz.) spinach (not baby), stems finely chopped and leaves cut in half; or use thawed frozen spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice or couscous
- 1. Heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium heat in a large nonstick frying pan. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and very soft with crisp edges, about 30 minutes. Transfer half to a bowl and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, put lentils in a saucepan with 3 cups water and the bay leaves. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, uncovered, and skim foam. Simmer just until tender, 5 to 10 minutes (they'll fall apart a little). Remove bay leaves and set lentils aside--don't drain.
- 3. Stir chile, ginger, coriander, turmeric, and 1 tsp. salt into pan of onions and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir onion-spinach mixture into pot of lentils and wipe frying pan clean.
- 4. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in pan over medium heat. Add cumin and garlic and cook, stirring, until seeds are sizzling, about 1 minute; stir into lentils. Season with salt. Top lentils with reserved onion and serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes