This dip is really good. I don't know much about lentils but I really liked it. I skipped the caraway because I don't like it. Used ancho chili and chipolte chili powder for a little more flavor. Served with veggies instead of pita to make it a gluten free dish as well. I think it would also be good spread on a veggie sandwich.
Spiced Red Lentil Dip with Pita Crisps
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 159
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 7.4g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 395mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1 cup dried small red lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pita Crisps:
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, each cut into 5 wedges
- Cooking spray
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare dip, place lentils and bay leaf in a large saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above lentils. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Discard bay leaf.
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and nuts; saute 5 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned. Stir in tomato paste and next 6 ingredients (tomato paste through garlic); cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in juice. Combine lentils and onion mixture in a food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare pita crisps, coat 1 side of each pita wedge with cooking spray; sprinkle wedges evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Arrange wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note