Spiced Red Cabbage
Cook this a day before serving.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 6 slice(s) thick bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large head red cabbage, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 firm, ripe pears, cored, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cup(s) red wine
- 3 tablespoon(s) red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup(s) honey
- salt and pepper
- caraway seeds and fresh chives to garnish
- Dry fry the diced bacon in pan over gentle heat for 5-10 minutes til golden brown.
- Stir in onion and cook for 5 minutes til pale golden.
- Stir the cabbage, garlic, caraway seeds and the water into the pan. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Season well, then add the pears, lemon juice, red wine and vinegar. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in honey.
- If there is too much cooking liquid remove the lid and allow to reduce. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve sprinkled with caraway seeds and snipped fresh chives.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psschmidt2 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note