Spiced Peaches in Crisp Phyllo Pastry (Bric de Melocotón Perfumado)
The filling for this strudel-like dessert is similar to homemade peach preserves. Pay close attention during the last 15 minutes of cooking the peaches to prevent burning. Prepare this dessert a day or two ahead, and store in an airtight container.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 217
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 37.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 111mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened white grape juice, divided
- 1/2 cup riesling or other sweet white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 4 cups coarsely chopped peeled peaches (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 12 (14 x 9-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed (such as Athens)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Combine granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons grape juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over high heat 4 minutes or until golden, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 5 tablespoons grape juice, wine, and the next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove and discard cloves and cinnamon stick. Stir in peaches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 25 minutes or until very thick, stirring frequently. Cool 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface (cover remaining dough to prevent drying); lightly coat with cooking spray. Place another phyllo sheet on top of first; lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with the remaining phyllo and cooking spray, ending with cooking spray.
- Spoon peach mixture along 1 long edge of phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold over short edges of phyllo to cover 2 inches of peach mixture on each end. Starting at long edge with 2-inch border, roll up jelly-roll fashion. (Do not roll tightly, or pastry may split.) Place pastry, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Divide pastry into 6 equal portions by scoring 5 diagonal slits on top using a sharp knife. Lightly coat the pastry with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on baking sheet on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut along scored slits into equal portions using a serrated knife.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note