- 1 10-ounce box couscous
- 1 pound ground beef
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 4 Roma (plum) tomatoes, quartered
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- 3 tablespoons tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 8-ounce container hummus (optional)
- calories 598
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- fat 28 g
- satfat 7 g
- cholesterol 64 mg
- sodium 1163 mg
- carbohydrate 61 g
- fiber 6 g
- protein 30 g
How to Make It
Place the couscous in a medium bowl and pour 1 1/2 cups hot tap water over the top. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Form the beef into 12 small 1/2-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the cumin, and oregano.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook to desired doneness, 4 minutes per side for medium.
Combine the couscous, scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, lemon juice, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining oil in a large bowl.
Divide among individual plates. Serve with the burgers and hummus, if desired.
Upgrade: Turn this dinner into a Mediterranean feast by using ground lamb instead of ground beef and stirring 1/4 cup crumbled Feta into the salad.