My family was skeptical, but liked it once they tried it. I'll make it again.
Spiced Lentils and Poached Eggs
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 291
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 20.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.1g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 181mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 379mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- 1 cup dried small red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain; discard bay leaf.
- 2. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and tomato; sauté 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add curry, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, red pepper, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add lentils; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- 3. Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Add vinegar to pan. Break eggs into custard cups. Gently pour eggs into pan; cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Carefully remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon. Place about 3/4 cup lentil mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 poached egg. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note