Spiced Lentils with Mushrooms and Greens
"I love lentils: They're packed with protein, very filling and a good source of iron," says Jill Donenfeld. Eat these stewy lentils as a light lunch or serve alongside Donenfeld's roasted cauliflower with raisins.
More From Food & Wine
- Calories: 208
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 6g
- 1/2 cup brown or green lentils
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 pound Swiss chard or other tender greens, large stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- In a small saucepan, cover the lentils with 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the shiitake and season with salt. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender and starting to brown, 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic, cumin, coriander, pepper and turmeric and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the greens and cook, stirring, until wilted, 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and their cooking liquid to the mushrooms and simmer for 3 minutes. Add up to 1/4 cup of water if the lentils are too dry. Season with salt. Ladle the lentils into bowls, garnish with the parsley and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note