- 1/2 cup brown or green lentils
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 pound Swiss chard or other tender greens, large stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- calories 208
- fat 11 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- carbohydrate 24 g
- fiber 6 g
How to Make It
In a small saucepan, cover the lentils with 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the shiitake and season with salt. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender and starting to brown, 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic, cumin, coriander, pepper and turmeric and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the greens and cook, stirring, until wilted, 2 minutes.
Add the lentils and their cooking liquid to the mushrooms and simmer for 3 minutes. Add up to 1/4 cup of water if the lentils are too dry. Season with salt. Ladle the lentils into bowls, garnish with the parsley and serve.