- 2 tablespoons yellow split peas
- 5 teaspoons mild olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black or brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 fresh curry leaves (optional)*
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 qts. (5 oz.) loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 cup red or white quinoa, cooked as package directs with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- calories 254
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- protein 8.5 g
- fat 8.6 g
- satfat 0.8 g
- carbohydrate 38 g
- fiber 5.7 g
- sodium 548 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Simmer split peas with 2 cups water in a small saucepan until just tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry on a towel.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until they pop, 1 minute. Stir in cumin; cook a few seconds until sizzling, then stir in split peas, curry leaves, chile, turmeric, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring often, until split peas start to turn light golden, 2 minutes. Scrape into a bowl.
Add spinach to frying pan, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain any liquid. Stir in quinoa, split-pea mixture, and 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice. Add more lemon juice and salt to taste. Scatter cilantro on top.
*Find curry leaves at Indian markets.