I agree that the sauce and marinade are both excellent and fairly quick to make. However, after 8 minutes on the grill, the lamb turned out terribly chewy. I can't blame the lamb - it was freshly butchered from a local Halal meat counter that only sells locally raised young lamb. However, I think I know what went wrong: I covered the grill. My guess is that these cooking times work if you cook the lamb on a med-hi grill UNCOVERED for 8-10 minutes. Anyone want to confirm this? I liked the rest of the meal enough that I'll probably give this another try in a couple of weeks and see if it turns out more tender if I cook it uncovered.
Spiced Lamb and Vegetable Kebabs with Cilantro-Mint Sauce
A bright sauce, made with mint, cilantro, lime juice, and peppers, brings out the fresh flavor in the lamb-and-veggie kebabs. For dessert, try ice cream with mango-cardamom sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 256
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 24.9g
- Carbohydrate: 9.4g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 442mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1-pound) boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 16 (2-inch) pieces yellow bell peppers
- 16 (1/2-inch) wedges red onion
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. To prepare kebabs, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; add lamb, tossing to coat. Thread lamb, tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion alternately onto each of 8 (8-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning occasionally.
- 3. To prepare the sauce, combine cilantro and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Serve with kebabs.
- Ice cream with mango-cardamom sauce: Place 1 chopped peeled ripe mango, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom in a food processor; process until smooth. Serve over ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This