Spiced Kabocha Squash
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 18
- Calories from fat: 5%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 4g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 kabocha squash (about 2 lb.)
- 4 cups seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 cup mirin or dry sherry
- 8 slices fresh ginger (each the size of a quarter)
- 8 whole star anise
- 1. Cut squash in half; scoop out seeds.
- 2. With a vegetable peeler, pare green skin from squash; discard. Using a slicer or knife, cut squash into 1/8-inch-thick slices (makes about 6 cups); rinse slices.
- 3. In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine vinegar, mirin, ginger, and anise. Bring to boiling over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add squash and return to boiling over high heat.
- 4. Transfer spiced mixture to a jar. Let cool and serve, or cover and chill up to 4 weeks.
- Nutritional analysis per 1/4 cup drained serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This