Spiced Fried Chickpeas
Photo: Thomas J. Story; Styling: Dan Becker
Time: 25 minutes. Good with almost any drink, these are best when still warm from the oil.
Yield: Serves 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 90
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 7.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 336mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzos)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Spread in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and pat dry.
- 2. In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring 2 in. oil to 350° to 375° (use a candy thermometer, or drop a chickpea in—when it sizzles, the oil is ready).
- 3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- 4. With a large spoon or strainer, lower chickpeas carefully into oil. (They will spatter.) Cook until chickpeas are hot and crispy (test 1 for doneness), about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon or strainer, transfer chickpeas to several layers of paper towels and drain 1 minute.
- 5. Toss chickpeas with spice mixture. Serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers