Spiced Fig-and-Zinfandel Compote
- 3/4 cup diced dried Mission figs
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups Zinfandel wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 whole clove
- 1 (1/2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a nonaluminum saucepan, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Place a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add coriander seeds and next 5 ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, until spices are toasted. Transfer spices to a clean coffee grinder and grind until fine. Set aside 1 tablespoon spice mixture. Reserve remaining ground spices for other uses.
- Bring fruit mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes or until thickened. Add lemon juice, honey, salt, and 1 tablespoon reserved ground spice mixture to fruit mixture; cool.
- Note: We prefer toasted and freshly ground whole spices, but you can substitute prepared ground spices in the following proportions: 3/4 teaspoon coriander, 3/4 teaspoon fennel, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon clove, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments