It's not the holidays without a cup of Spiced Eggnog. This classic beverage gets its spiced flavoring from whole cloves, ground cinnamon, and freshly grated nutmeg.
Yield: Makes about 3 1/4 cups
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 whole cloves
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg
- 1. Beat egg yolks in a large bowl until thick and pale. Gradually beat in sugar until blended.
- 2. Stir together milk and next 2 ingredients in a 4-qt. saucepan. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or just until mixture begins to bubble around edges of pan. (Do not boil.)
- 3. Gradually stir half of hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Stir egg mixture into remaining hot milk mixture in pan. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, 7 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon and a candy thermometer registers 160°. (Do not boil.)
- 4. Remove from heat, and stir in cream. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer.
- 5. Let cool 1 hour. Stir in nutmeg, vanilla, and bourbon. Chill 1 hour. Garnish each serving, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note