Spiced Cushaw Pudding
- 1 (6-pound) cushaw squash
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Additional ground cinnamon (optional)
- Additional ground nutmeg (optional)
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds and any fibrous material from center of squash. Cut squash into smaller pieces and place in a shallow baking dish; cover tightly. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tender.
- Remove squash from baking dish. Remove pulp from squash; discard skin. Mash pulp well using a fork. Drain thoroughly.
- Combine mashed squash, butter, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, and rind in a large Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Add milk and egg, stirring well. Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon squash mixture into twelve lightly greased 6-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with additional spices, if desired. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables