I have made this cake many, many times over the years. I absolutely love it! It's not a sweet and sugary dessert and it seems to be a well suited option for many menus. Don't over mix it though or it will be tough. If in doubt.... give it a try!
Spiced Cornmeal Pound Cake
NOTES: You can make the cake up to 1 day ahead; when cool, wrap airtight and store at room temperature.
Yield: MAKES: 6 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 5.8g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 344mg
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a bowl, with a mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating to blend well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat at medium speed just until well blended.
- 3. Spread batter level in a buttered and floured 8- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- 4. Bake in a 325° oven until cake is golden on top and just begins to pull from pan sides, 60 to 70 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for about 15 minutes, then invert cake from pan, set upright on rack, and let cool completely, about 1 hour. To serve, cut into slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note