This recipe was pretty easy, but I certainly need to work on my "toss the popcorn in the caramel sauce" technique, as I don't feel I got everything evenly coated. Also, even after letting it set after baking, my popcorn wasn't crispy, but chewy. Maybe it's the summer humidity. I like the spiced chocolate, but be warned: you may want to reduce the amount of cayenne if you don't like hot-spicy foods. It is not too overwhelming, but I felt it had an "afterburn" as I like to call it. I'd probably cut back a bit next time I make this. I LOVE the combination of cinnamon and chocolate, so you could go with just that as well!
Spiced Chocolate Popcorn Crunch
Not all popcorn has to be buttered. Try Spiced Chocolate Popcorn Crunch for movie night in or the next time you're entertaining--this sweet and spicy treat is sure to be a hit!
More From Allyou
Stand: 3 Hours
- Calories: 154
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Sodium: 46mg
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted, lightly salted peanuts
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 300ºF. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Combine popcorn and peanuts on baking sheet.
- 2. Mix brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in a small pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil without stirring for 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Quickly pour caramel over popcorn and peanuts; toss with 2 rubber spatulas or spoons. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring twice.
- 3. Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium heat in 10-second bursts, stirring in between, until almost melted, 40 to 50 seconds total. Stir in cayenne and cinnamon. Transfer to a ziplock bag, cut a small hole in a corner and drizzle chocolate over popcorn. Let stand until set, 3 to 4 hours. Break into pieces and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note