This recipe was much better than I expected. Very flavorable and the blackeyed peas and rice make a good side dish for the chicken. I couldn't find Old Bay seasoning so I substituted a cumin based seasoning that I had on hand. The reciped turned out great. I would definately make this again. I also goes good with some califlower as a side dish if you want more veggies.
Spiced Chicken with Black-Eyed Peas and Rice
Season chicken breasts with a blend of paprika, Old Bay seasoning, sugar, and salt, then pan-sear on both sides in an oven-proof skillet and bake until done. Serve with a spicy mixture of sauteed onions, garlic, black-eyed peas, and rice for a filling and nutritious meal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 405
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 47g
- Carbohydrate: 37.5g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 868mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion, thawed
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 (15.8-ounce) can black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine paprika, seasoning, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over chicken. Add chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side. Wrap handle of pan with foil. Place pan in oven. Bake at 350º for 6 minutes or until chicken is done. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add frozen onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, hot pepper sauce, and black-eyed peas; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Spoon about 3/4 cup rice mixture into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 chicken breast half. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note