I think this meal is a good weeknight easy fix. I didn't use the skewers (because I forgot to buy them), but I did cook the bite-sized pieces on a grill pan after coating them with the mix. After that, I cooked whole wheat cous cous where I put the chicken on top and finished with the Lemon Vinaigrette. It was hit with me and my husband, and a great lunch for the next day!
Spiced Chicken Skewers with Lemon Vinaigrette
Toasting the spices before grinding them brings out their oils and makes them more potent.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 skewers)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 114
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Carbohydrate: 1.4g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cooking spray
- 8 lemon wedges (optional)
- 1. Prepare the grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Thread chicken pieces evenly onto 16 (6-inch) skewers.
- 3. Place cumin and coriander in a small nonstick pan over medium heat; cook 1 minute or until toasted, stirring frequently. Place spice mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; pulse 3 times or until coarsely ground. Combine ground spices, 1/4 teaspoon salt, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Spread spice mixture onto a large plate; lightly roll each skewer in spice mixture.
- 4. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, onions, lemon juice, oil, and garlic in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- 5. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 8 minutes or until done, turning occasionally. Arrange skewers on a platter; drizzle with juice mixture. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spiced Chicken Skewers with Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe at a Glance