Has been a Family favorite for years. Delicious!
Spiced Chicken and Barley
Community Recipe from
- 1 teaspoon(s) Ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Dried mint flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) Garlic Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
- 6 Skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Vegetable oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Chopped onion
- 1 cup(s) Chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 2 can(s) Chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup(s) Uncooked pearl barley
- 1 can(s) Diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 tablespoon(s) Sliced scallions
- 1 combine first seven ingredients; rub chicken with half the spice mixture.
- 2. Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Move chicken from pan.
- 3. Add onion and bell pepper to pan. Cook over medium high heat for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in soy sauce, broth, barley, tomatoes and remaining spice mixture.
- 4. Add chicken to pan, nestle into veg mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover; simmer 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Let stand 15 minutes. Top with green onions.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by maryug and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note