Has been a Family favorite for years. Delicious!
Spiced Chicken and Barley
From Cooking Light cookbook. Favorite!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 teaspoon(s) Ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Dried mint flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) Garlic Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
- 6 Skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Vegetable oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Chopped onion
- 1 cup(s) Chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- 2 can(s) Chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup(s) Uncooked pearl barley
- 1 can(s) Diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 tablespoon(s) Sliced scallions
- 1 combine first seven ingredients; rub chicken with half the spice mixture.
- 2. Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Move chicken from pan.
- 3. Add onion and bell pepper to pan. Cook over medium high heat for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in soy sauce, broth, barley, tomatoes and remaining spice mixture.
- 4. Add chicken to pan, nestle into veg mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover; simmer 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Let stand 15 minutes. Top with green onions.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by maryug and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note