Excellent, but if you don't like curry, tone it down. I do, but several guests did not, so they weren't crazy about the soup. I liked the spiciness, because pumpkin can be bland. Enough to taste it, but not so overpowering that it ruins it. They weren't kidding about the hour and half prep time. Lots of chopping ahead of time, but worth it. Better yet, do it the day before to break up the prep time. Pumpkin was out of season, so I used one 29 oz. can of pumpkin, and it worked great.
Spiced Butternut-Pumpkin Soup
This yields more than enough for appetizer-size servings. Divide up the leftovers, and freeze for a last-minute meal during the busy month of December.
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 35 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium-size butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1 3/4 lb.)
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled and cubed (about 1 3/4 lb.)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 (32-oz.) container low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 8 minutes or until onion is golden. Stir in garlic and ginger, and cook 1 minute. Add squash, next 7 ingredients, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- 2. Process soup, in batches, in a blender until smooth. Return to Dutch oven, and stir in cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- *1 tsp. curry powder may be substituted.
- Note: 3 lb. butternut squash may be substituted for 1 3/4 lb. butternut squash and 1 3/4 lb. pumpkin.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note