This soup is delcious. Beautiful flavour with the apple adding a hint of sweetness. I served with greek yogurt and toasted walnuts and they were tasty additions. I suggest doubling the recipe because it tastes even better the next day!
Spiced Beet and Carrot Soup
This soup is tart, just sweet enough, and hearty, though not a protein powerhouse. If you want to pump up the protein, increase the walnuts or serve with a salad of greens, nuts, and goat cheese.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 26 Minutes
- Calories: 247
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Protein: 8.4g
- Carbohydrate: 29.5g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 577mg
- Calcium: 91mg
- 1 pound small red beets, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 pound large carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced peeled apple
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup baby watercress
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place beets and carrots in a bowl. Drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss. Arrange the vegetables on prepared pan. Bake at 425° for 40 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Cut beets and carrots into 1-inch pieces.
- 3. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add apple, onion, and garam masala to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes. Add beet mixture, broth, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes.
- 4. Place half of the beet mixture in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour soup into a bowl. Repeat. Stir in lemon juice. Ladle about 1 1/4 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 3 tablespoons yogurt, 2 tablespoons walnuts, and about 1 tablespoon watercress.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note