This recipe is pretty awesome, but I'm SURE they meant to say cook on LOW, not high, for 6-7 hours. I gathered all ingredients before I realized my crock pot is a 3 quart, not 6. So I made a batch yesterday on high and switched to low after about 4 hours when I noticed it was turning to mush. Today I made a second batch on LOW and it turned out PERFECT. Maybe it's the 3 quart vs. 6 quart, but I'd suggest LOW.
Spiced Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
More From Southern Living
Total: 6 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (32-oz.) container beef broth
- 1 (3-lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 sweet onions, cut into eighths
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (about 1 lb.)
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Whisk together first 2 ingredients until smooth.
- 2. Sprinkle beef with flour, salt, and pepper; toss to coat.
- 3. Cook beef, in batches, in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes or until browned. Place in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add sweet potatoes, next 8 ingredients, and broth mixture. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 to 7 hours or until tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This