Spiced Beef Pockets
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 438
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 42g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 788mg
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- 2 pounds boned beef sirloin steak, fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 Roma tomatoes (2 lb. total)
- 6 pocket breads (6 to 7 in. wide), cut in half crosswise
- 1/2 cup thinly slivered red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup diced dill pickles or cucumber
- 1 cup Sesame Yogurt Sauce
- 1. Rinse beef and pat dry; slice crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick strips 2 1/2 inches long. In a bowl, mix beef, lemon juice, allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; let stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse and core tomatoes; cut each in half lengthwise. Set halves, skin up, in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan. Broil about 4 inches from heat until richly browned, 6 to 9 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200°. Stack pocket breads and wrap in foil. Warm in oven with tomatoes until ready to serve, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Set a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat. When hot, add beef mixture; stir until meat is no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a wide bowl or platter. Boil juices until reduced to 1/4 cup, 2 to 4 minutes; pour over meat. Stir in salt to taste.
- 4. Arrange tomatoes beside beef. Sprinkle onion and parsley over meat. Serve pocket breads, pickles, and Sesame Yogurt Sauce alongside. To eat, spoon beef mixture, tomatoes, onion, and pickles into pocket bread halves. Add yogurt sauce to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches