- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Red or Golden Delicious apple (1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped (optional)
- calories 114
- caloriesfromfat 11 %
- protein 3.1 g
- fat 1.4 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- carbohydrate 23 g
- fiber 3.8 g
- sodium 18 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Pour quinoa into a fine strainer and rinse well under cool running water.
In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan, combine quinoa and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil on high heat, turn heat low, cover, and simmer until grain is tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, combine vinegar, apple juice concentrate, allspice, pepper, and garlic. Mix with cool quinoa.
Core apple and cut in 1/4-inch cubes. Mix apple, carrot, onion, and mint with quinoa.
Mound salad on a lettuce-lined platter. Add salt to taste.