Spiced Angel Cake
Too rich to be angel food cake, too light to be shortbread, this mildly fragrant dessert is a Coastal Living staff favorite.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Orange marmalade
- Crème fraîche
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise; scrape out seeds. Stir seeds and lemon rind into butter.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (5 to 6 minutes). Fold butter mixture into the meringue.
- Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients. Gently fold dry ingredients into meringue. Carefully spoon batter into a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan; spread to edges of pan.
- Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until golden. Cool cake completely. Cut cake into squares. Top each piece with a dollop each of orange marmalade and crème fraîche.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings