- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (1- to 2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 (8-oz.) can pineapple tidbits in juice
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries with stems
How to Make It
Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Pour syrup through a wire-mesh strainer into a small bowl, discarding ginger and spices. Cool completely; chill.
Combine sectioned oranges and pineapple in a large bowl. Gently stir in chilled syrup. Spoon fruit and syrup into individual dessert dishes. Sprinkle with coconut, and top with cherries.
Make-Ahead Note: Prepare fruit. Seal in a zip-top freezer bag, and refrigerate overnight. Cover and chill ginger syrup overnight. Combine fruit and syrup before serving.