Spice-Rubbed Roast Chicken with Two Sauces
Photo: Con Poulos
At his new chicken-focused restaurant in Atlanta, Bantam + Biddy, Shaun Doty uses an Old Hickory rotisserie to cook his birds, which are coated with a lemony fennel-seed rub. The choice of sauces to serve alongside includes smoky piri piri and Dominican wasakaka, made with onion, chiles and herbs.
Yield: 2 to 4
More From Food & Wine
Total: 2 Hours
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (3 1/2 pounds) chicken, chilled
- Kosher salt
- Wasakaka Sauce and Piri Piri Sauce, for serving
- In a bowl, whisk the oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, fennel seeds and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the chicken, inside and out. Let come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Twist the wings of the chicken behind the back and tie the legs together; set breast side up in a roasting pan. Season all over with salt. Roast for about 55 minutes, until the juices run clear when an inner thigh is pierced. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and serve with the Wasakaka and Piri Piri Sauces.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note