Wow! This is my new favorite! Made exactly as written. The beef is so moist, tender and flavorful. I did use no salt added tomatoes but tasted the sauce before adding the beef and it seemed alright. This cooked about 3 hours since I was out, but it came out perfectly. Fork tender but not disintegrating. I wouldn't change a thing. Served with crusty bread and frozen veg (Steamers Savory Corn) which was very good, but I'd like to try the polenta with it. This is so delicious you will never get 10 servings out of it. I would say 5-6 servings.
Spice-Rubbed Braised Beef
Photo: Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner
You can make the sauce up to three days ahead—just reheat it before adding the roast.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 3 ounces beef and about 1/3 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 262
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 25.1g
- Carbohydrate: 15.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 508mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. To prepare roast, combine paprika, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, dry mustard, and ground red pepper; rub over roast. Place roast in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. To prepare sauce, heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, crushed red pepper, and minced garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Place tomatoes in blender, and process until smooth. Add pureed tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, and the next 3 ingredients (through tomato paste), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- 3. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 4. Remove roast from bag. Add roast to sauce in pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 1/2 hours or until tender. Serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes