1. In a deep bowl with mixer on high speed, whip egg whites until they hold distinct moist peaks.
2. In another large bowl (with unwashed beaters), beat egg yolks, buttermilk, 3 tablespoons butter, sugar, and molasses until blended. Add flour, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. Beat until smooth.
3. Add whipped whites to batter; fold gently to blend.
4. On a buttered nonstick griddle or 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, pour batter in 1/4-cup portions, spacing so pancakes don't touch. Cook until tops are full of bubbles, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and cook until bottoms are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat to cook remaining batter. As pancakes are cooked, stack on plates, or arrange slightly overlapping on baking sheets and keep warm in a 150° oven.
5. Serve with warm lemon sauce. If desired, garnish with thin lemon slices and leaves.