We made this recipe last evening for a special Valentine's Day dinner and it was OUTSTANDING! We followed the recipe to a tee with the exception of baking it longer because we did not want medium rare. It is easy and delicious and our rib roast turned out super moist and flavorful! Definitely better than you could get at most fancy restaurants. We will definitely be making this recipe again.
Spice-Crusted Prime Rib
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Robyn Valarik
Coated in a spicy, sugary mixture, this prime rib is simple to make but indulgent in every other way.
Yield: Serves 10 to 12
More From Sunset
3 Hours, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 472
- Calories from fat: 71%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 5.8g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 621mg
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- 1 four-rib beef rib roast (about 7 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1. Let beef come to room temperature 1 hour. Preheat oven to 500°. Set beef in a large roasting pan, rib side down, and roast 30 minutes to render off some fat.
- 2. Transfer beef to a platter and reduce oven temperature to 350°. Drain fat from pan, then return beef to pan, rib side down. Set aside.
- 3. Grind peppercorns, allspice, and salt in a spice grinder until coarsely ground. Put in a small bowl and mix with remaining ingredients to make a thick paste. Use a small spatula to spread paste evenly over top and sides of beef.
- 4. Cook beef until well browned and a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 115°, about 1 1/2 hours for medium rare (temperature will rise to at least 135° as it stands). Cover beef loosely with foil and let stand about 30 minutes before slicing.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes