- 1 four-rib beef rib roast (about 7 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons packed light or dark brown sugar
- calories 472
- caloriesfromfat 71 %
- protein 27 g
- fat 37 g
- satfat 14 g
- carbohydrate 5.8 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- sodium 621 mg
- cholesterol 99 mg
How to Make It
Let beef come to room temperature 1 hour. Preheat oven to 500°. Set beef in a large roasting pan, rib side down, and roast 30 minutes to render off some fat.
Transfer beef to a platter and reduce oven temperature to 350°. Drain fat from pan, then return beef to pan, rib side down. Set aside.
Grind peppercorns, allspice, and salt in a spice grinder until coarsely ground. Put in a small bowl and mix with remaining ingredients to make a thick paste. Use a small spatula to spread paste evenly over top and sides of beef.
Cook beef until well browned and a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 115°, about 1 1/2 hours for medium rare (temperature will rise to at least 135° as it stands). Cover beef loosely with foil and let stand about 30 minutes before slicing.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.