Speedy Focaccia with Fennel and Thyme
A handy, time-saving trick: Use the microwave to make yeast bread dough rise. (You still have to bake the bread in the oven, though.)
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 148
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 24.4g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 294mg
- Calcium: 40mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 (1-pound) loaf frozen white bread dough
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel; sauté 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cover bread dough loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave at MEDIUM-LOW (30% power) 6 minutes or until dough is completely thawed, turning dough over every 2 minutes. Let stand, covered, 3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface; pat to a 1/2-inch thickness. Combine fennel, thyme, and pepper; sprinkle over dough. Knead 1 minute or just until fennel mixture is incorporated into dough.
- Place dough in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place bowl in microwave; place a small bowl of warm water beside large bowl. Microwave again at MEDIUM-LOW 2 minutes; let rest 3 minutes. Microwave at MEDIUM-LOW 3 minutes. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Let dough rest 9 minutes.
- Pat dough into an 8-inch round; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with 1 teaspoon oil, and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cut into 8 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads