I was very disappointed with this recipe. There really wasn't any flavor. When I added in salt and pepper, all I really tasted was salt and pepper. Needs more zip. Certainly was fast but just not that tasty. Maybe white wine? Next time I'm craving cioppino, I'll research a different recipe.
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
Serve a seafood stew loaded with shrimp, mussels, and fish. Pair with a bright lemon-dressed salad to accent the fresh flavor of the seafood.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 3/4 cups stew and 10 mussels)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 311
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 36.5g
- Carbohydrate: 24.4g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 140mg
- Iron: 7mg
- Sodium: 674mg
- Calcium: 122mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (1-inch) cubed red potatoes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels (about 40), scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 (8-ounce) cod fillet
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and next 5 ingredients (through saffron); sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and clam juice; bring to a boil. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- 2. Add mussels, shrimp, and cod to pan; cover and cook 6 minutes or until cod is done and mussel shells open. Discard any unopened shells. Stir gently to break cod into chunks. Sprinkle with basil.
- Lemon-dressed salad: Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 minced garlic clove, stirring with a whisk. Combine 6 cups gourmet salad greens, 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, and 1/2 cup slivered red onion. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews