Surprisingly good. Next time I'll add some minced garlic and a little chopped celery. It made for a good, hearty meal on a work night. Everyone liked it.
Speedy Chicken Potpie
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
You really can get this chicken potpie on the table in 20 minutes. Strips of pastry are a quick stand-in for the traditional crust on top.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture and 3 piecrust strips)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 341
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 30.4g
- Carbohydrate: 33.6g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 813mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups refrigerated diced potatoes with onion (such as Simply Potatoes)
- 2/3 cup frozen green peas and diced carrot blend
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrust dough
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; sprinkle with salt. Sauté 5 minutes or until browned and done.
- 3. While chicken cooks, bring 2 1/2 cups broth and bay leaf to a boil in a large saucepan. Add potatoes; cover and cook over medium-high heat 8 minutes. Stir in peas and carrots; cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken. Combine remaining 1/2 cup broth and flour; stir into potato mixture. Reduce heat to medium; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly and thick. Remove bay leaf. Stir in thyme, pepper, and sage.
- 4. While potato mixture cooks, cut piecrust dough crosswise into 12 strips. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 7 minutes or until browned and puffy. Top chicken mixture with piecrust strips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes