Speckled Vanilla-Hazelnut Brittle
Banana chips add texture in this vanilla bean-freckled brittle. Your kitchen will smell like Bananas Foster as they're stirred into the hot candy.
More From Oxmoor House
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts with skins
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup dried banana chips
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on a 15" x 10" jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 5 to 10 minutes or until skins begin to split. Transfer warm nuts to a colander; using a towel, rub briskly to remove skins. Coarsely chop nuts.
- Cook sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil. Boil without stirring until a candy thermometer registers 290°. Carefully stir in nuts using a clean spoon. Remove from heat, and stir in banana chips and remaining ingredients. (Baking soda will cause candy to foam.) When foaming subsides, quickly pour candy onto a buttered baking sheet. Pour as thinly as possible without spreading. After 2 to 3 minutes, use 2 buttered forks to stretch and pull brittle as fast as possible before brittle starts to break. Cool completely, and break into irregular size pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note