- 3 medium-size chayote squash
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Parsley
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup cooked, peeled, deveined shrimp, halved
- 1/2 cup buttered breadcrumbs
How to Make It
Wash squash thoroughly. Place in a medium saucepan with boiling salted water to cover. Cook 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly.
Remove and discard squash seeds. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch shell; mash pulp. Set aside squash shells and pulp.
Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Stir in tomato, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper, mixing well. Set aside.
Sauté reserved squash pulp and soft breadcrumbs in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and reserved onion mixture. Spoon into squash shells. Sprinkle with buttered breadcrumbs.
Place stuffed squash in a shallow baking dish. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until browned.