- 1 pound napa cabbage, halved, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise
- 1 carrot, very thinly sliced
- 2 large red chiles, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups 7UP or ginger ale
- 1 bunch of watercress, thick stems discarded
How to Make It
In a bowl, toss the cabbage with the salt and squeeze it to soften slightly. Cover with a small plate and a heavy can and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Pour off any liquid. Stir in the vinegar, scallions, carrot and chiles. Add the 7UP, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Fold in the watercress just before serving.