Sparkling Cranberry Cocktails
There's something reminiscent of the sunset in this sweet-tart effervescent cocktail. The heavier syrup settles to the bottom as the golden wine bubbles above. Try the cranberry syrup in other drinks where you might normally reach for cranberry juice. Prep: 3 minutes; Cook: 1 minute; Stand: 20 minutes; Chill: 1 hour.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (about 3 cups)
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle sparkling white wine, chilled*
- 1. Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Boil syrup 30 seconds; set aside 18 cranberries, add remaining cranberries to syrup, and cook an additional 30 seconds. Cover and remove from heat; let cranberries steep 20 minutes.
- 2. Strain cranberry syrup, reserving berries for another use. Transfer syrup to a glass cruet with stopper, and chill at least 1 hour. (Syrup will keep, chilled in an airtight container, up to 2 weeks.)
- 3. Place 3 cranberries and 1 tablespoon cranberry syrup in the bottom of each champagne glass. Top with chilled sparkling white wine, and serve immediately.
- *Katherine prefers a sparkling white like Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note