Spareribs And Sauerkraut
- 4 to 4 1/2 pounds pork spareribs
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can shredded sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Have butcher cut rib section lengthwise into serving pieces. Brown spare ribs slightly on both sides in shortening in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain well.
- Sprinkle ribs on both sides with salt and pepper. Place ribs in a large Dutch oven; add water to cover, onion, and celery. Cover and cook over low heat 1 1/2 hours or until ribs are tender. Drain well.
- Place sauerkraut , caraway seeds, and sugar in bottom of Dutch oven; stir well. Place ribs over sauerkraut; cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes. To serve, arrange sauerkraut on a serving platter, and place ribs over top.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This