Spanish Tortilla with Almond Romesco
In Spain, a tortilla is a thin omelet served at room temperature. Roasted potato slices fill this version, while a sharp, tangy red bell pepper sauce tops it. The sauce can be prepared up to 3 days ahead; serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Continue your head start by roasting the potato slices early on the day of the party.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 99
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 13.2g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 213mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sherry or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 (1-ounce) slice white bread, toasted
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare romesco, cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 6 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 20 minutes. Peel and chop bell pepper. Place the chopped bell pepper in a food processor. Add tomato and next 10 ingredients (tomato through bread); process mixture until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare tortilla, combine potato slices and 2 teaspoons olive oil on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Arrange potato slices in a single layer; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bake potatoes at 350° for 40 minutes or until tender, turning after 20 minutes. Remove potato slices from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine egg substitute and eggs in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until foamy (about 2 minutes). Stir in potato slices, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Pour egg mixture into pan, spreading potatoes in an even layer with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium; cook 4 minutes or until edges are set and bottom is lightly browned. Wrap handle of skillet with foil; broil 4 minutes or until set. Remove from oven; invert onto a serving platter. Cool at least 5 minutes or to room temperature before serving with romesco sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note