I was looking for comfort food and this fit the bill. I added Parmesan cheese on top when out of oven. Would be good paired with a salad or green vegetable. What would I do differently - use a slightly smaller pan so I could turn it on a plate and so that the egg was a little more concentrated. Very good but I love potatoes and onions!
A Spanish tortilla is an omelet filled with potatoes and onions and served as a main dish.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Sodium: 532mg
- Cholesterol: 266mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled, halved, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 pounds thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 large eggs
- 1. Pour olive oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat; when hot, add onion and stir often until limp, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix to coat. Add 1/3 cup water and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes. If any liquid remains in pan, boil, uncovered, until evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat eggs with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to blend. Add potato mixture and mix gently. Place unwashed frying pan over medium-high heat; when hot, pour in egg mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until eggs begin to set and bottom is lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Transfer pan to oven and broil tortilla about 6 inches from heat until top is set, 3 to 5 minutes. Run a spatula between tortilla and pan to loosen; invert tortilla onto a plate. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch