Spanish-Style Lentils and Rice
Lentils, in combination with rice, make this a protein-complete dish.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (10-ounce) can ROTEL Mexican Festival Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in a large lightly greased nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until tender. Add cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Stir onion mixture and tomatoes into rice mixture, and spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes; top evenly with Cheddar cheese, and bake 5 more minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles