Spanish-Style Clam Stew with Garlic Toast
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Jan Gautro
Yield: 12 cups
More From Coastal Living
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 3 large red potatoes, diced
- 2 (14 1⁄2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sourdough baguette, sliced
- 24 littleneck clams, well-scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat just until warm. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes.
- 2. Combine saffron and sherry in a small bowl.
- 3. Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chorizo, and cook 4 minutes or until browned on all sides. Transfer chorizo to a plate.
- 4. Add onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and paprika to Dutch oven. Sauté 5 minutes or until softened but not browned. Stir in sherry mixture, clam juice, and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 5. Brush baguette slices with garlic oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden.
- 6. Stir clams into stew, cover, and simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until clams are fully opened. (Discard any that do not.) Stir in chorizo and orange zest. Cook until thoroughly heated. Serve with garlic toast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note