- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 3 large red potatoes, diced
- 2 (14 1⁄2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sourdough baguette, sliced
- 24 littleneck clams, well-scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
How to Make It
Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat just until warm. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes.
Combine saffron and sherry in a small bowl.
Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chorizo, and cook 4 minutes or until browned on all sides. Transfer chorizo to a plate.
Add onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and paprika to Dutch oven. Sauté 5 minutes or until softened but not browned. Stir in sherry mixture, clam juice, and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Brush baguette slices with garlic oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden.
Stir clams into stew, cover, and simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until clams are fully opened. (Discard any that do not.) Stir in chorizo and orange zest. Cook until thoroughly heated. Serve with garlic toast.