1. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat just until warm. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes.
2. Combine saffron and sherry in a small bowl.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chorizo, and cook 4 minutes or until browned on all sides. Transfer chorizo to a plate.
4. Add onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and paprika to Dutch oven. Sauté 5 minutes or until softened but not browned. Stir in sherry mixture, clam juice, and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Brush baguette slices with garlic oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden.
6. Stir clams into stew, cover, and simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until clams are fully opened. (Discard any that do not.) Stir in chorizo and orange zest. Cook until thoroughly heated. Serve with garlic toast.