- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound lean stew beef, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup dried apricot halves
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4-1/2-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Place basil, tarragon, and bay leaf on a 6-inch square of cheesecloth; tie corners of cloth together with string.
Brown beef in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add herb bag, onion, and next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 1 hour. Stir in mushrooms and olives; simmer 30 minutes. Remove and discard herb bag.
Combine broth and flour in a jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously. Stir into stew. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve over rice.